Add Your Heading Text Here



Our History

AQUAIRON Ltd. was established in 1993 in the city of Rousse as a successor to a family tradition in wrought iron craft. Started as a small business back in 1924, it still relies on traditional methods and techniques in the field of wrought iron, blacksmith crafts, artistic metalwork and timber constructions, preserved and passed over the generations.

The company is rightly fully very proud of its heritage, Milen’s great grandfather Ivan Stefanov. a Master Craftsman with many accomplishments to his name. Included in this, while working as an apprentice, he assisted in the creation of the gates and railings of the Holy Trinity Church Russe in 1918, which allowed him to progress his art and further attain his Master’s Certificate in 1924.

‘Kyunt Capua’

Throughout his life he worked on many famous creative projects, one of which was the restoration of the famous old iron city gate of ‘Kyunt Capua’ which was first erected in the 18th Century.

Originally constructed as one of the five gates making up the Ottoman fortress of Rustchuk in Ruse, Northern Bulgaria on the river Danube.

Much of the fortress was destroyed  under the Berlin Peace accord of 1878 leaving very little of the fortress standing other than this gate.

In order to protect the city these gates it is believed were dressed in iron making penetration very difficult if not impossible for the siege weapons of the time.

 

Thus, the restoration had to embody this technique and in 1969 the restoration project  was undertaken by Milen’s great grandfather.

 

The conservation of the gate was carried our precisely and finally the keys to operate it were presented to the Director of the Regional History Museum. 

Hommel and Mainz – Germany

This all in one belt driven drilling platform purchased second hand by Milen’s great grandfather and was used on the gates at ‘Kyunt Capua’.

It was driven by an electric motor that had a leather belt which transferred the inertia to the drill.

It thus allowed Ivan Stefanovto successfully to reproduce  the original affect  of the city gates with complete authenticity.

Church of the Assumption, Rousse

 

Another interesting anecdote was the construction of the Church of the Assumption which began in 1928 and it finally completed in 1930 when the cross were positioned clearly on the top of the bell tower designed by architect Bobchev. 

 

 

The Cross

The cross were made by Milen’s great grandfather.

While installing the cross, he had to be tied by rope as a precaution just in case he fell.

 

 

 

The Bank of the Simeonov Brothers Ruse.  

Another significant building and architectural masterpiece that Ivan Stefanov assisted with, was that of  the inner staircases within the bank, wreathed with exquisite iron railings, which are entwined with plant ornaments and a fantastic dragon with a lion’s head and wings. 

 

 

 

 

There is a spiral staircase inside with ornamented cast iron balustrade. Milen’s great grandfather-Ivan stefanov assisted in the renovation of the staircase in the beginning of 20th century.

 

St. Trinity Church .  

Is  the oldest Orthodox Christian building in Ruse and was built in 1632, initially the railings were of a wooden design and structure .

Milen’s gerat grandfather (Ivan Stefanov) become an apprentice in 1912, he was 14 years old at the time.

 

 

 

The church gates and railings were replaced with wrought iron in 1918 at the time Ivan was working under Peter Genov’s instruction as an apprentice and the foundry team proceeded to replace the wooden railings with the wrought iron gates and railings we can see today.  

How Can We Help?

We are available to give advice, quotations and much more.